Always matching horse and rider for lifelong partnerships
Always matching horse and rider for lifelong partnerships
Welcome to Horse Power Ranch home of Cathy and Ismael Gomez we have a rich background in multiple disciplines of the equine industry with over 90 years combined experience! Let us help match you with a well suited horse for your goals and dreams. We have a very well respected reputation for representing our horses honestly and fairly. We are very committed to making a great match for our horses that create wonderful long term partnerships. Our success comes from knowledge of our horses there likes and strengths and matching them so they are happy in their new homes! Word of Mouth is our largest share of repeat customers. We are active Foxhunters with several MFHA recognized Hunts regulars at horse shows both regional and national levels with wins in many disciplines. We will be the first ones to let you know a horse is unsuitable based on your descriptions of your ability or desired perfect match. With that in mind, we have created these guide lines in how we will show our horses (this has become necessary to be kind to our horses and keep everyone safe) We will need to see that you have read and agree by a reply text or email before any appointment will be set.
1. A phone call is the first step to discuss what you are looking for I will ask your budget we don’t care what your budget is be it $3500 or $35000 we will never show or discuss a horse above your budget unless the a horses consigner would accept an offer that fits within your budget.
2. A current video of the rider you are shopping for!! Way to many times I talk with people they embellish there abilities or just don’t know they are not an intermediate rider but truly a very beginner this poses a very significant safety risk to our horses and you on a well trained or young prospect when you have told me all about your college age daughters riding only to find out once on she cant steer! Also be honest about your current situation (often poeple fail to take into account or mention they have physical limitations due to age or injury or have not ridden in a very long stretch) we get people that come having not ridden in years and again safety is of primary importance.
3. Please know what you are looking for if you say I am looking for a 16 hand or taller horse we measure with a proper measure we have had people drive 12 hours and be terrified as they have never seen a horse that tall (in this case the horse was 16.3 and had a ppe before they made the trip to try the horse this person had never ridden or handled a horse larger then 14 hands again a wasted trip for them and countless hours wasted for us! )
4. If you have a trainer or someone helping you I need to talk with them too all of these steps are in place to save all of us wasted time If you have an appointment anyone involved in the decision making process needs to come we will not be showing the horse multiple times a second try sure but when we are told oh I need to send all these videos to my trainer and then have them come back no I understand there time is valuable and you may have to be paying them to come around with you but we have put hours into a sales appointment and our time is as well.
5. Please ask all questions we are happy to answer them.
6. Many of our horses are consigned most owners consign for many different reasons they have stopped riding, they changed their direction in there riding ect We will share all we know about each horse we have for sale but we may not have a 10 year horse fax we don’t have or rarely 3 years of vet records
7. Bring your saddle most buyers are most confident in there own saddle! That said the horse will be shown and presented in what it is currently been ridden in and has been used for. THIS IS A MAJOR POINT!! If you ride bareback or have a treeless saddle or western and the horse doesn’t normally go western we will NOT show it that way or allow you to TRY IT OUT!! You are coming to try a horse NOT TRAIN IT. If you do all kinds of ground work that’s great but we will NOT entertain you putting the horse thru all kinds of tests.
8. The sale appointment is scheduled for 1 hour start to finish yes we are flexible but we have been sorely taken advantage of and no longer will allow extended trial rides. We want you to interact with the horse as we monitor how the horse responds to you if the horse isn’t happy and receptive in you company its not in the best interest of the horse to move forward we are the horses advocate. We want you to handle the horse to make sure it’s a good match if you ride on trails we will happily get on another horse so you can take a test trail ride. If you are looking for a horse to jump great but be aware you are trying the horse not training it or having your instructor give you a two hour lesson! Be considerate do not take our horse and think you can ride it around our farm or off our property without consent again seems like I should not have to mention this but people have of late be very presumptuous in treatment of our sale horses you don’t have permission to ride the horse out of the ring if we are not with you safety and liability comes into play here. If you want to try the horse off our farm Hitchcock Woods or a XC schooling venue there will be a fee of $200 non refundable to cover our time and cost in transporting the horse and accompany you while are trying the horse this fee will be applied to the purchase price. If its to try a foxhunter out on a days hunting the fee will be our current day hireling price as well as the cap fee which will be payable to the hunt.
9. Horse shopping is a process we get that but please be considerate of our farm do not bring your pets you are coming to try a horse not let your dog run loose. If you have traveled and have a pet sure ask to walk yours on a leash absolutely but you opening your car doors and setting you wild dog loose chasing our cats and horses and bothering our dogs no way. Same with children letting them run around chasing our dogs and cats throwing rocks and sticks no way!! Seems crazy I need to mention this but the current trend has required it as it has happened many times!
10. If you are going to have a pre purchase vetting (ppe) done great but please know what information you want to receive from the vetting. Someone buying a horse for resale that they plan to sell in the future for a very high price tag is a different vetting then someone wanting a safe and willing partner to enjoy trails and a pleasure home It has become the norm that the less expensive the horse the more unrealistic the buyers are again please don’t waste our time.
We will request a non refundable deposit of $250 to be credited towards the purchase price if you want to hold a horse for a ppe. This fee will cover our attending a vetting I block a minimum of 3 hours it will cover transportation to a local vet clinic for the vetting. You will have 24 hours to complete the purchase at the conclusion of the vet appointment. The deposit holds a horse for you thru the appointment waiting period and gives you first in line throughout the buying process. We reserve the right to deny a vetting procedure if its not in the horses best interest. Appointments need to be set up expediently no more then a 7 days from deposit being received.
A no deposit option is also available but horses will be shown and are available to be sold at any time we have people come to look at one horse and fall in love with there perfect match a totally different one. Appointments pop up spur of the moment and folks buy off videos. The no deposit option horses are available and will be shown for sale ( frequently people roll in with a trailer try a horse write the check and take the horse home!) up until the vet appointment time and you will have 24 hours( the 24 hours starts when the ppe is completed to give you time for vet findings to get to your vet if needed) to complete the purchase transportation to a vet clinic and our time is $125 this is nonrefundable this fee is due before the appointment time payable Venmo, Zelle or PayPal.
A few final remarks we certainly don't expect every appointment to be a perfect match but by following the above points we certainly save lots of time and disappointment PLEASE as you go and try horses be it with us or other farms be aware the seller has made time to prepare and show their horse to you be on time. If running late or a change happens let us know most important be honest!! If a horse is not what you are looking for let us know Thank You but not what I am looking for is quick and painless I have the most respect for someone that sees me ride the horse and for what ever reason its not the one for them and they say so!! Let us know where we stand so we can move forward with you or someone else. Treat folks well and they will do the same!
Copyright 2023 Horse Power Ranch and isohorse.com
We are also available to help you find a horse and act as a buyers agent